Sunday, March 15, 2009

Latern Slide Assignment

Just uploading my slides before I forget to do it later. Text will follow within a few hours. Enjoy!

--



Found here

In this group of slides, they all have a common theme of water. I didn’t want to just choose anything to have slides from, and these just really called out to me. They’re particularly peaceful to look at, and if I were an actual traveler to Japan and a collector of slides, I would probably choose these to add to an album.
The first slide, is, perhaps, one of the more difficult ones for me to analyze. This was actually the last slide I picked, but I decided to put it on here first. This slide has a sense of completeness with the gate. The red of the sky is a very vibrant hue, but not the red of the gate. You’d think the gate would be the more vibrant of the two because it is in the center of the picture. Also, the water around it seems to become a very stormy grayish blue but lightens up the closer you get to shore.

If I were a collector of these slides, I think, aside from the water and the sense of serenity that you get from it, that I would choose this slide for my collection based on the amount of straight lines that provide the slide with a crisper, cleaner feeling. Especially since the shore is such a straight line that complements the sky line, where the gate is a series of lines with very little curve. Even the tree seems to be made up of straight lines, and the only real sense of curve that we get from this slide are from the green on the tree branches and the curves of the stones in the front of the slide.



--



Found here

While the second slide I chose seems to contrast and provides the exact opposite picture of a shore line. Although there isn’t any gate, there are people – shown to be small and far away. There are trees though, but unlike the tree of the first slide, these are seen wholly.

The curves are very lovely, and if I were a collector, I’d probably buy the first one for the lines, but this one for the curve. Although the picture is dark, there is still the curve of the shore, and of the land closest and farthest away (although the latter is kind of straight as well – but due to the curvy mountain range and the break-up of the clouds, I consider it to be curvy). There are also more visible ripples in the water, unlike the first one that did have ripples, but there weren’t that noticeable. I found that interesting, especially since the ripples are illuminated by the sun rising (instead of setting like the first slide).

--



Found here


The third slide also has the sun rising as well, but there is now a clear division of the water and the sky by land. The first two, I felt, didn’t have this same division that you see here. The land bar is much thicker, and I love the color contrast between the light blue and orange of the sky with the grey/brown of the land, and the grey/brown of the land with the light blue of the water. There are also trees in this slide too, which I liked because they curve in nearly the same direction of the boat’s sail. In fact, I feel like the center rock is more of a fake illusion to the main point of the slide, the sail boat, because I feel that it’s size overwhelms the boat. However, the rock with the trees reminds me greatly of the sailboat – it has a curvy tree, which is bent in the same direction the sailboat’s sail is, and there straight line the tree rests on reminds me of the straight top part of the sailboat. This line causes you to move your eyes over to the curve, where you see the sailboat within it on the water.


--



Found here

This slide I chose because I found the clustering of rocks to be very interesting in the water. The only way it differs really from the past two slides are that there are no boats in this one. There are trees, but they are stubby little things. I enjoyed this slide because of the way the rock clusters break up the sky from the water. If I were a collector, I’d probably buy this slide because I view this slide to portray more violence than the others, especially when you see the last slide. The fact that the waves seem to be breaking on the rock shows more energy than the other waves in the previous slides. Also, I find it relatively interesting that with the shadows, the clouds, and the way the light falls, I can’t seem to get a grasp on whether this slide is supposed to be showing a sunset or a sunrise.

With all these past few slides, it’s been easier to grasp the time of day they are supposed to show. See, with the next slide, it is more easily recognizable that the gates/temple does border a sunrise. I chose this slide to conclude my album because, unlike the first one that showed one lone gate, this one shows the temple, with the gate in the background, as if you are finished moving away from the start and are now at the end. Surprisingly, this was the first slide that I chose.

--


Found here


What I like about this slide, is that it seems to encompass other themes found within the past slides – the trees, the water, the slight break-up of the horizon, and a boat. What I find interesting is that there aren’t any rocks. The color red now really isn’t as visible, except in the gate in the far back, a huge contrast to the first slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment